Nick Matthew (ENG) clinched Gold to retain his title by beating James Willstrop (ENG) 3-2 (11-9 8-11 11-5 6-11 11-5) in a thrilling all-England men's singles final at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games on Monday.
No.1 seed Matthew had to leave the court early in game one after losing a contact lens, but returned shortly after replacing it to win a hard-fought clash which lasted one hour and 40 minutes and prompted a standing ovation from the huge crowd.
Earlier, No.3 seed Peter Barker (ENG) won Bronze and ended the dream of Saurav Ghosal (IND) of becoming the first Indian player to win a Games squash medal with a 3-1 victory (11-5 6-11 11-5 11-6) which was watched by Prince Edward.
Top seed Nicol David (MAS) also retained her women's singles title with an entertaining 3-0 (12-10 11-2 11-5) victory over No.2 seed and world champion Laura Massaro (ENG).
Massaro had to leave the court in game three for treatment to a face knock after being accidentally struck in the face by David's racquet, but returned after a few minutes before her Malaysian opponent sealed Gold.
No.3 seed Joelle King (NZL) won Bronze with a 3-0 (11-7 11-7 11-5) victory over No.4 seed Alison Waters (ENG).
Five plate finals were also held on Monday. The results are as follows:
- Men's plate - Scott Fitzgerald (WAL) beat Hardeep Reel (KEN) 3-0 (11-3 11-7 11-5)
- Men's classic plate - Shawn Delierre (CAN) beat Kevin Moran (SCO) 3-1 (11-9 11-9 2-11 11-8)
- Men's consolation plate - Manda Chilambwe (ZAM) beat Alexander Arjoon (GUY) 3-1 (5-11 11-6 11-9 11-8)
- Women's plate - Deon Saffery (WAL) beat Anaka Alankamony (IND) 3-1 (7-11 11-3 11-8 11-1)
- Women's consolation plate - Naduni Gunawardane (SRI) beat Dorothy Bryce (PNG) 3-1 (11-4 11-8 5-11 11-5)
Although this instalment of Squash has come to a close there are still some other great opportunities to be at the heart of the Commonwealth Games action. All sales are now “for collection”, so you can buy online or from the Ticket Hotline on 0800 458 2014*, then collect the tickets at our city centre George Square Ticket Office or the Venue Ticket Office.
Read our Essential guide to Buying and Collecting Tickets at Games Time.
Don’t forget you can keep up to date on sport and festival wherever you are, by downloading our free official ‘My Games’ and ‘My Results’ mobile apps. Find out more.